Spring is here and there are a few things on the “honey do list” that can be done to preserve your home’s value. Check these items off your list before the beautiful weather lures you off to play.
- Clean the gutters. Gutters direct water away from your foundation. If water is pouring over your gutters instead of through them, the over flow could erode your foundation which is not only a pain to fix but very costly.
- Check your foundation for cracks extreme winter weather can be damaging. Caulk around the areas where masonry meets siding, where pipes or wires enter the house, and around the windows and door frames to prevent AC from escaping. This is one of the least expensive things to do but can save you lots of money in the long run.
- Upgrade to a programmable thermostat. They even have Wi-Fi ones that you can control with your phone. Imagine being able to save on your AC bills with a swipe of your finger.
- Service your CHA unit and replace the filter. This could shave up to 15% off your energy bill and add years to your CHA units life span. You should replace the filter at least every 3 months.
- And don’t forget to get your chimney checked and cleaned if needed. Not only can this save you a lot of money, but it can also save your home from catching fire which could cost you your life or a family members. It’s just not worth forgoing the expense if you used your wood burning fireplace throughout the winter.
- Basements are often overlooked, especially if they’re primarily just storage areas. Do a little organizing, throw away junk, clean any windows and make sure there isn’t mold anywhere, etc. Give your basement a good inspection at least once a year.
Once you’ve checked these items off your list you can rest easy knowing you’ve helped protect your homes value and saved bundles on future repairs.
Feel free to call us with any Real Estate Appraisal questions. 706-633-3709